€7 billion EU fund for infrastructure projects: green transport & missing links
A call for proposals launched on 16 September under the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) for Transport programme makes available €7 billion for projects targeting new, upgraded and improved European transport infrastructure. The majority of projects funded under this call will help to increase the sustainability of our overall transport network, putting the EU on track to meet the European Green Deal objective of cutting transport emissions by 90% by 2050.
The call support’s the European Commission’s vision of sustainable, smart and resilient mobility. As the sector recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic, it must build back better, using the opportunity to further develop sustainable transport modes and technologies and to fully exploit the opportunities offered by digital technologies.
The EU needs an efficient and interconnected multimodal transport system for both passengers and freight. This must include an affordable, high-speed rail network, abundant recharging and refuelling infrastructure for zero-emission vehicles, and increased automation for greater efficiency and safety.
The call addresses each of these points with:
- €5.17 billion for infrastructure projects on the Core and Comprehensive TEN-T (railways, inland waterways, maritime and inland ports, roads, rail-road terminals and multimodal logistics platforms, multimodal passenger hubs, smart and interoperable applications for transport, safe and secure mobility, infrastructure resilience);
- €1.57 billion for a new Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Facility implemented through a rolling call until 2023 (including electricity fast-charging and hydrogen refuelling infrastructure on the TEN-T road network);
- €330 million for the adaptation of the TEN-T to civilian-defence dual-use (Military Mobility envelope).
Applications are welcome from both Member States and International organisations or public or private bodies established in an EU Member State, with the agreement of the Member State(s) concerned.
Applicants should submit their proposal electronically via the Funding & Tenders Portal Electronic Submission System before 19 January 2022.
The CEF Transport programme is the key EU funding instrument for the development of high performing, sustainable and interconnected Trans-European transport networks, with a focus on the nine Core Network Corridors. The programme co-finances projects that enhance multimodality, improve infrastructure and advance innovation and new technologies.
Under the CEF programme, €25.8 billion is available for grants from the EU’s 2021-2027 budget to co-fund Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) projects in the EU Member States. CEF (2014-2020) has so far supported over 1,000 projects with a total of €23.29 billion in the transport sector.
The call for proposals supports Actions under the Facility’s General, Cohesion and Military Mobility envelopes.
The European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA) is managing the promotion and evaluation of the call, and supervises the implementation of projects.
For more information
Virtual information days on the call will take place on:
- 27 September 2021 on all the call’s priorities except alternative fuels
- October 2021 (exact date to be confirmed) specifically for alternative fuels
Source: European Commission
In: CLEPA News, Growth & Competitiveness